In this packed episode, we invite Bob Moesta on the show to show us how to do interviews that uncover Jobs to Be Done.
In this episode:
- Bob conducts and interview of my friend Derek on a major purchase to undercover the underlying Job to Be Done
- Bob and I analyze the interview and the insights
- We talk the uses of the insights that can be applied directly to sales, product development, and marketing activity
- Never ask what people wish existed while doing research. Ask about the progress they're trying to make.
- Make people feel comfortable. Ask for and use names of people in their stories.
- Use the insights to develop your product, train your sales team, and derive marketing messaging
- Understanding progress your customers want to make make helps you orient your operations around that knowledge, and improves customer experience because you are built to please!
- Bob honed his interviewing skills by learning from law enforcement agents. Check out Chris Voss's Never Split the Difference to learn more about the tactics. Link below!
- Never Split the Difference, Chris Voss
- Competing Against Luck, Clayton Christensen, Karen Dillon, and David S. Duncan
- Demand-Side Sales 101, Bob Moesta and Greg Engle
This episode is brought to you by Active Digital.