Jobs to Be Done and Product Leadership with Chris Spiek
September 14, 2023
In this episode, Chris Spiek, a luminary in the product development sector,me to discuss the transformative potential of the Jobs to be Done theory in business strategy. Chris shares his journey of collaborating with Apple to bring the innovative tap-to-pay feature to market, and how one feature born out of JTBD Research created a feature single-handedly responsible for 50% of company revenue. Tune in to hear the story.
- Collaboration with Apple: Chris highlights the journey of developing the tap-to-pay feature, which promises to revolutionize payment systems for small business owners.
- Customer-Centric Approach: Chris underscores the necessity of shifting focus from the loudest voice in the room to the customer's needs and experiences.
- Implementing Jobs Theory: Begin with foundational knowledge acquired from resources like "Competing Against Luck", and learn the art of customer interviews to gather actionable insights.
- The Importance of the First Win: Secure an initial success story to demonstrate the effectiveness of the Jobs theory in your organization, fostering a culture of customer-centric innovation.
- "Every time you take a credit card payment, people say it's like, I can feel the money going into my checking account, which is pretty magical." - Chris Spiek describing the user experience of the tap-to-pay feature.
- "How do you move the loudest voice out of the center of the conversation and the customer into the center of the conversation?" - Chris Spiek on adopting a customer-centric approach.
- "You're going to have to take a leap of faith based on the findings and learn from the outcomes." - Chris Spiek on implementing the Jobs theory.
- "All you got to do is get one win to prove to the rest of the organization that, this is worth it." - Devin Smith on the significance of securing the first win.
Ways to Connect with Chris Spiek
- Twitter - Follow Chris for more insights on product development and innovation.
- LinkedIn - Connect with Chris to stay updated on his latest ventures and collaborations.
Connect with Devin
Subscribe and Review
If you enjoyed this episode, make sure to subscribe to our podcast so you'll never miss an episode. We'd also appreciate if you could leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. Your reviews help us reach more people and create a bigger impact.